Church Hosts Massive Thanksgiving Dinner | News
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A church in south Kansas City is inviting you and your family to enjoy a free Thanksgiving feast Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
This is the 18th year Memorial Church at 11424 Hickman Mills Drive in Kansas City, Mo., has hosted “Powerfeast”. They expect up to 1,000 people to attend this annual Thanksgiving tradition at their church, which is in the old Builder’s Square.
Besides serving turkey, potatoes, stuffing and pie, the church is also giving away clothes, haircuts, manicures and health screenings – all free of charge.
Pastors Larry and Olivia Aiken told FOX 4 this event is one of the many ways they give back to the community. It started as a Thanksgiving meal, but they said as the people went through the line, they saw they also needed clothes and a haircut to help them find a job.
One year a man who needed steel-toed boots for a job interview found a pair at Powerfeast, took them with him and ended up getting the job.
In the past 18 years, Memorial Church has served more than 22,000 meals, given away more than 200,000 articles of clothing and shoes to men, women and children, and provided more than 20,000 free haircuts.
Upcoming Events near Jackson County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kansas City community invited to interfaith service at Jewish Comm. Ctr. to honor victims
- Joe;s Weather Blog: Severe Weather And Snow
- KCMO Police Chief: 12 ‘highway shootings’ now linked, says ‘Tips will solve this’
- Missouri leaders want to work to bring Super Bowl to KC
- Kansas City police investigate 13 highway shootings, some connected
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Cavity in dental coverage in Missouri could be filled
- Four charged for alleged roles in burglary, vehicle pursuit through Kansas, Missouri
- Grandview neighborhood buzzes with police activity as suspected highway shooter arrested
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Joe’s Weather Blog: Rain Chances/Frost Opportunity/Snow?
- Neighbor hailed a hero after rescuing toddlers from burning apartment
- Independence police arrest four people who tried to escape them
- KC Forum: Protection, Drama and Human Trafficking
- City of Independence to Host the 2015-16 Division I Women’s Basketball National Championships